Rising youth unemployment is one of the most significant problems facing economies and societies in today’s world, for developed and developing countries alike. The latest Global Employment Trends for Youth 2020: Technology and the future of jobs shows that since 2017, there has been an upward trend in the number of youth not in employment, education or training (NEET).
Due to the current Covid-19 disruptions across the globe, it is estimated that nearly 70 per cent of the world’s learners are affected by school closures across education levels, currently face-to-face engagements has been moved online. More so, it is important for young people to remain resilient in acquiring future skills to reduce the unemployment challenges that the current crisis will pose post-Covid-19.
Guidelines for video submission:
In commemoration of this year’s world skills day, the British Council is launching a 30-seconds video challenge for youths within the ages of 18-35. You will be required to do this in the following format:
- Please say your first name, age, city and country.
- Answer the following question in a 30seconds video;
What skills do you consider will be most important for the future and why?
- Share your video on your social media account and tag our Twitter handle @ke_British and use the hashtags #ConnectedBySkills and #WYSD2020
- Extended deadline for the video entry is midnight EAT, 29 July 2020.
Tips for recording videos
- Record in a well-lit place.
- Test the sound. Film for a few seconds and listen to the video to make sure the sound is good. Make sure there are no noises around you or other people speaking at the same time.
- The video will be cut to a square (1:1) format. Whether you film horizontally or vertically, make sure that the person speaking is always in the centre of the frame.
Selection of Winners
Two winners (one female and one male) will be selected based on the quality of their responses.
The winners will be gifted with a 2-month paid access on LinkedIn Learning worth 60USD where they can gain premium access to thousands of courses in the areas of business, creativity and technology. With certificates for every course completed.
The winners will be announced after 29 July 2020.
There will be an onboarding session to help winners familiarise themselves with LinkedIn Learning platform.