You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system and check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. READ THE INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
Download and read the Information for Candidates which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results. Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. DECIDE WHICH VERSION OF THE TEST IS RIGHT FOR YOU
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. CHECK THE IELTS TEST DATES
There are a limited number of places for all our IELTS test sessions. To make sure you get a place, we recommend that you register two months before your chosen test date. Of course, places may be available after this date. You can use our Online Registration System to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
4. REGISTER ONLINE
Use our Online Registration System to book your place on the test.
Please ensure you are able to provide the documents in step 5 and are able to pay using one of the payment methods in step 6.
5. PREPARE AND SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS
Please submit the following documents to our Nairobi office within five working days of submitting your online application:
- A signed copy of your confirmation form
- Proof of payment (see payment details below)
- A valid Kenyan National ID (for Kenyan nationals). Please also bring a photocopy. If you are posting documents from outside Nairobi, we will accept a scanned copy of your ID.
- A valid passport. Please also bring a photocopy. The passport also has to be valid on the test day. If you are posting documents from outside Nairobi, we will accept a scanned copy of your passport.
All candidates located outside Nairobi wishing to send their IELTS registration documents to us must use a courier service (not normal post as this can cause delays). All couriered documents should be addressed to:
Customer Services Team
IELTS Registration Documents
British Council Nairobi Office
5 Upper Hill Road
6. PAY FOR YOUR TEST
IELTS Test Fee : £175 (Ksh. 23,660/=) for the month of July
IELTS Sample Material Pack: Ksh. 3,800
IELTS Preparation Class: Ksh. 9,500
IELTS UKVI Fees:
IELTS UKVI Test Fee: Ksh. 26,600 for the month of July
IELTS Life Skills A1 or B1: Ksh. 19,950 for the month of July
- IELTS, IELTS UKVI and Life Skills prices change every month based on British Council monthly book keeping rate. Candidates must check with British Council to ensure that they are paying the right price for any given month in order to avoid making additional payments.
- You will need a reference number before making your payment. Your reference number is a 15 digit number that was generated on completion of your online application form
- To make any of the above payments you must quote your registration Reference Number in all reference fields that are available.
- Cleared payment must be received within five days from the date of registration. For candidates making payments via bank deposit, it is prudent to plan for an extra day or two for processing payments. Deposits made on the fourth or fifth day after registration will not guarantee your preferred test date.
- Failure to quote your registration reference number may delay your application process; this may lead to a change from your preferred test date or cancellation of your registration.
CHOOSE YOUR PAYMENT OPTIONS:
- Online Payments
- Cash deposit through the bank
- Bank Transfer
- Payment for IELTS can be made using a bank credit or debit card
- Both Visa and MasterCard credit cards are accepted
- All candidates should print their online payment confirmation and attach to their application
- If you wish to pay by debit card please contact your local banking provider to check that your card is enabled to make online payments.
Cash Deposit through the bank:
- All cash desposit payments should be made at Standard Chartered bank - any branch.
- Kindly note that we do not accept Mpesa Payments or direct ATM deposits.
- Use the British Council Virtual Account Deposit Slips available in all Standard Chartered bank branches to make your payment
- Follow the instructions below to complete the virtual account deposit slip:
- Ensure that your full candidate name is clearly indicated in the student name section. For IELTS candidates it must match the document (passport / ID) that you used to register with on line.
- Candidates are required to bring their original Kenyan ID / original and valid passport. Kindly note that if you do not hold a Kenyan ID you must bring your country's original and valid passport with you on your exam day (We do not accept Alien ID cards). Your name on the bank slip must match this document
- Please note that you need to enter your IELTS reference code on your deposit slip . Your reference code is generated at the time of your IELTS online application. Enter your IELTS reference code under the reference code field indicated on the bank deposit slip .
- In the ‘select the appropriate exam and indicate ID number of candidate in boxes’ field first tick the box of the exam that you are taking.
- For your exam virtual account number , enter the code for month of exam (refer to the table below) followed by the full number of the document that you registered with, that is, your ID / Passport number as indicated above (kindly complete filling all the boxes with your document number even if the number of boxes in the field are not enough)
- For example if you’re registering for May IELTS Exams, with a passport number of A1234567 you will add 021234567 in the blank boxes at the subject reference code for your exam choice. For example for IELTS the subject reference code is 99177 and already printed on the bank slip so you will write i.e. 99177021234567 – ie the subject reference code is already there for IELTS 99177, then you write in the month of your exam (for May it is 02) and then you write in the passport / ID number ie 99177021234567 (do not add the letter from your passport)
- Note: It is important to enter correct information in the fields to prevent delays with tracking your payment.
- Kindly note that you are still required to bring in the yellow slip copy to British Council to complete your registration. This needs to be submitted by the deadlines for your selected exams. Contact the Customer Services Team at British Council Nairobi for any further queries – Tel 020 283 6000 / 0732 117 000
- For UKVI IELTS and Life Skills exams, payments must be made online at the time of your online registration. Payments cannot be made at the bank.
- You may make payment via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or RTGS with the relevant details to facilitate the same being as shown below.
- All bank transfer charges should be factored in when making the bank transfer and must be cleared before your application is confirmed.
- Payments made without the transfer fees will be deducted automatically.
Account Name: The British Council
Bank Name: Standard Chartered Bank Kenya
Swift code: SCBLKENXXXX
Account Number: 0108023243600
Branch: Kenyatta Avenue
Bank Code: 02
Branch Code: 078
7. COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION
Print the Application Summary at the end of the registration process (or the email you receive after registration).
Submit all documents from step 5 and your Application Summary (see step 5 above).
We need to receive all documents within FIVE working days of your online registration for all IELTS applications and within TWO working days of your online registration for all IELTS UKVI applications . Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within five working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
Copies of your results:
If you would like your results to be sent to Universities or other Educational Institutions, please visit the British Council Office and fill in an Additional TRF request form. You will be required to provide the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the request form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student. Additional charges apply. Ksh. 550/= for the additional TRF and Ksh. 5,700/= for DHL dispatch fees.
8. AFTER YOU REGISTER
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
- We will send you a confirmation email four to five weeks before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address
For more information please contact our Exams Services.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy (see downloads section below) prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a 25% administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund or Transfer Form and a bank details form (see downloads section below), along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
TEST DAY TRANSFERS
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund or Transfer Form (see downloads section below).
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR IELTS CANDIDATES:
- Candidates should carry a pen, pencil, rubber and Identification Document used during registration on the exam day
- No Wristwatches will be allowed in the Exam Room
- Candidates must not carry valuable belongings to the exam venue as we will not be liable for loss, theft or destruction